12 January 2012

Avocado, apple chilli jam and salad pitta pockets

I'm a big fan of avocado. It is so creamy and delicious. When I am feeling lazy I like to make this for a quick dinner with a nice big side salad. It is great for packed lunches too.

My friend Rachael's mum made the apple chilli jam and it goes wonderfully in this recipe. I will have to see if I can get the recipe, but it may be a Bloomer family secret... Another friend Lucy B inspired me to put chilli with avocado, and my god does it work. To be honest, my friends are my main inspiration, I love you guys :)

Avocado, apple chilli jam and salad pitta pockets



Serves 2 
2 wholemeal pitta breads
Extra virgin olive oil
1 medium ripe avocado
sunflower seeds, lightly toasted in a dry pan
Apple chilli jam
Lemon juice
Paprika
Salad leaves (I like spinach but use whatever you like)
Cucumber
Tomato
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

  1. Toast the pitta bread until warm and cut open the pocket on one side. Sprinkle a little olive oil into the open pocket.Spread on a good portion of apple chilli jam.
  2.  Slice open the avocado by cutting all around from end to end. Twist the avocado, pull apart and take out the stone. Using a spoon, spoon out the flesh of each side of the avocado and place into a bowl.
  3. Squirt with a little lemon juice and a sprinkle of paprika and mash, seasoning to taste.
  4. Wash the salad, tomato and cucumber and cut up.
  5. Add the avocado in to the pittas and sprinkle on the sunflower seeds. Place the salad onto the top of the filling and serve.

    Variations: Use lime juice instead of lemon, salsa instead of chilli jam and fresh coriander for a more Mexican style sandwich. Good with tortilla chips.

0 comments: