24 January 2012

Yellow split pea daal with spinach and cherry tomatoes

My all time favourite comfort food is daal. I love spinach in curries, so I will nearly always add it to daal if I have it to hand. Today I didn't have fresh spinach, so I just used frozen. I find the frozen spinach blocks really handy, especially for curries, pesto and soups.

I added more water to my daal to make it more soupy, so I could have some toast with it. I would normally have it with brown rice and a chapatti or pitta. I also like to use a mix of lentils like chana daal, red lentils and masoor daal but today I just fancied the humble split pea. Mix it up if you fancy, different lentils give different textures and tastes.

Yellow spit pea daal with spinach and cherry tomatoes

Serves 2-3
150g dried yellow split peas
Vegetable stock
1 inch piece creamed coconut (the block of concentrated coconut)
1 large clove garlic, chopped finely
1 tbsp panch phoran*
2 blocks frozen spinach, thawed, or a couple of handfuls fresh spinach
Handful cherry tomatoes
1 medium chilli, chopped
Squeeze lemon juice
  1. Place the split peas in 4 times the amount of vegetable stock in a pan and bring to the boil. Cover, and simmer for about 1 - 1.5 hours or until the peas have become soft but still hold some shape and the water has thickened.
  2. Add the coconut, garlic and chilli to the split peas. Add more water if you feel it is getting too thick. Stir to ensure the peas are not sticking to base of the pan.
  3. In a dry frying pan, fry the panch phoran for about a minute, or until beginning to colour and give off an aroma. Add the spices and a squeeze of lemon to the split peas.
  4. Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Add the spinach and whole cherry tomatoes, heat through and serve in bowls over rice, or add more stock/water to produce a more soupy consistency.
*Panch phoran is a is a spice blend used in Bangladesh and Eastern India. The spices typically used are fenugreek, Nigella seed, cumin seed, radhuni and fennel seed in equal parts. Celery seed sometimes is used in place of radhuni.
You can buy panch phoran in nearly all international supermarkets and some good supermarkets.

0 comments: